Powered by Blogger.

Flaxseed Oatmeal Cookies

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I've got such a sweet tooth and I try super hard to stay away from sweets when I'm trying to be healthy.  I substitute my cravings for sugar with fruit but a baked good is a baked good and can not be replaced.  I had a bunch of raisins that I wanted to use up so thought to try out a healthy oatmeal raisin cookie.  Now I know that healthy probably isn't a great word for a cookie as a cookie is still a treat and something that you should indulge in but these cookies use whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed and honey which means no butter and less sugar so in my world, that's definitely healthy.  The best part is that they are totally yummy and do not taste "healthy" at all.  It's a great replacement when you are craving oatmeal cookies and you can even sub the raisins with chocolate chips. My husband requested peanut butter chips and they tasted great with those too!

I had bought ground flaxseed meal as I had read that it was a replacement for butter in baking so this was my first time using it.  You can't really taste it, maybe just a hint of a nutty flavor but it seems to be a fab replacement for butter so I will be working it into other recipes.
1/2 cup Ground Flaxseed Meal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  • In your mixer (or bowl if you don't have one) mix together the flaxseed meal, brown sugar, honey, egg and water.
  • In another bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.  Add the oats and mix well. 
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.   
  • If you'd like to make batches with different ingredients (one batch raisin, one batch chocolate chip) split the batch now into different bowls.  
  • Add in the raisins (or other ingredient of your choosing) and mix well into the batter. 
  • Using a spoon, scoop the batter and roll into a ball.  Place onto the cookie sheet. Don't worry about placing them too far apart as they don't spread much.  
  • Sprinkle each ball with a little cinnamon (optional but I loved it!)
  • Bake 13 to 16 minutes until edges and top of the cookies are slightly brown. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment