Powered by Blogger.

Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies

Monday, February 27, 2012

So many things to blog about but so little time to do it!!  I've been a little MIA on the internets lately because I've been meeting with lots of awesome people and getting new ideas and have a few fun projects/events on the way!  Super excited for the next few weeks/months!  So anyway, that's why these cookies that I made for Valentine's Day are being posted so late but they are so yummy and work for any occasion, not just Valentine's Day.  The best part?  They are SO easy to make you won't even believe it.
valentines_day_roses
Thank you to my husband who brings me flowers for no occasion at all but also never forgets on VDay either :)
I like to bake everything from scratch just because I think it tastes better (and any excuse to use my Kitchenaid Mixer - my favorite appliance!) but as I was looking for cookies to make for Valentine's Day I found these Strawberry Cookies and thought it sounded delicious and then when I saw that they were made simply with a cake mix I was like "WHAAA?"  I have never heard of such a thing!
strawberry_cake_mix_cookies4
Doesn't the dough look like strawberry sorbet? :)strawberry_cake_mix_cookies2strawberry_cake_mix_cookies
strawberry_cake_mix_cookies3
Head on over to Love Veggies and Yoga to get the very easy to make recipe.  All you need is strawberry cake mix, butter, egg and vanilla!  She made a cream cheese frosting which I'm not a fan of so I took an easier way out and bought whipped topping from Trader Joe's and topped the cookies with sprinkles or made them "whoopie pie" style and sandwiched the whipped topping in between.  These are DELICIOUS and are so easy to make.  Everyone who I gave them to loved them, especially my husband!

My tips on the recipe... 
  • Definitely take the time to let the dough chill in the refrigerator/freezer.  They really do spread a lot but they stay thicker if you chill the dough. 
  • Make sure that they are cooked through by checking the bottoms of the cookies are browned.  She mentioned that they will be a little loose and jiggly but after you take them out they will cook more on their own.  This usually happens when I make cookies but not for these ones.  I had quite a few undercooked cookies so I ended up cooking mine for about 12-14 minutes as opposed to her 8-10 minutes.
  • You don't need the cookie scoop like I used but I like to use it so I could get about the same size/shape for the "whoopie pie" style ones.
I've got a new post over on the Smarter blog... I'm a total heels girl but I've got a soft spot for certain flats, come see my favorite ones!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment