Powered by Blogger.

Title IX and my inspiration

Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Growing up I wasn't too big into sports but I was always active in a few sports, mainly tennis.  I played tennis from about 7-8 years old until high school when I played on our high school tennis team.  And not until I met my husband did I really watch sports, but I do remember very often watching tennis with my dad and really looking up to any of the female tennis players and watching in awe how amazing they were.  One of the first athletes that I watched in awe of every game was Jennifer Capriati.  She was only a few years older than me and I was fascinated that someone so young could be SO good.  I mean, she was playing the French Open at 14!  I also loved watching Monica Seles play tennis and considering she actually won the French Open at 16 years old, I was pretty much in awe of every match she played.  And of course when Serena and Venus Williams came onto the scene.  I was just as obsessed watching them play as well!  It's funny to me because growing up, I never considered how much any of these athletes might have influenced me but now I think back and can see that it was awesome to have those kinds of athletes that I could look up to and relate to in a way. 
I tried to find a picture of a pink tennis racquet like the favorite one I had when I was a teenager but when I found this Chanel racquet I had to laugh, so it's only in this post because it's hilarious to me that anybody owns a Chanel tennis racquet and tennis balls!

The reason I'm writing this post is because we are coming up to 40 years of when Title IX passed.  Title IX was part of the Educational Amendments of 1972 that banned any discrimination, with regards to gender, in school academics and athletics. When these amendments were passed, female athletics were given the same spending and attention in school as male teams.  I'm helping Nike celebrate this and being that I am a huge fan of Nike Women and how much they have inspired me in the past few years to stay active and workout, I wanted to highlight this important event.

I'm not the biggest sports fan or consider myself an athlete but I so greatly admire many female athletes.  Oh and if you ever need some inspiration, watch the bonus workouts on Nike Training Club which feature quite a few inspiring athletes.  Just watching their workout routines kicks my ass into gear and makes me want to workout even harder!



Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Nike via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Nike.

No comments:

Post a Comment