Powered by Blogger.

DIY Glitter Clutch

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Do you remember this clutch from this lookbook?Rag_Bone_Jeans
Well, now it looks like this! DIY_clutch2
I made it gold and glittery!  I LOVE it!!  


You see I've been in love with the gold sequin Zara clutch that I've seen on a ton of bloggers (seen here on my sister) and all over Pinterest.  But I missed out on getting it online and don't have a Zara nearby so I was searching for other cute sparkly clutches when I thought, "why don't I just make one?" I wasn't super attached to the yellow clutch so thought it would be the perfect canvas to make it glittery.  Obviously the Zara one is covered in sequins but I did glitter because it was easier but just as pretty.  Pictures don't do this baby justice, it looks amazing in person!


What you need:
  • Clutch
  • Mod Podge
  • Very Fine Glitter - I used Martha Stewart Glitter (and after this project, I'm seriously considering buying this set of all of the colors! I want to glitter everything now!)
    *You could try chunky glitter if you want the look of the clutches above.  I'm not sure how it will turn out but I do like the smoothness of mine. 
  • Foam Brush
  • Bowl
  • Patience :)

    I don't have step by step pictures because I did this over two days and it was kind of a trial run for me anyway, but you don't need the pictures because it's super easy.
    1. Mix the glitter and Mod Podge into a bowl (I lined my bowl with foil so that it wasn't a sticky mess and clean up was easy.) I'd say 1 parts glue to two parts glitter is good.  I just eyeballed it though until I thought you could see enough glitter through the glue mixture.  You want more glitter because when it dries you want as much glitter stuck on as possible, otherwise you'll have to do way more coats.
    2. Start painting the clutch with the foam brush.  Do only one side!  When you paint it on, it will be all white and goopy, don't worry, it dries clear and all you see is glitter.
    3. Wait 20 minutes or longer until it's dried and you see the glitter.
    4. Wash your brush thoroughly between layers of painting because you don't want your brush to get hardened and not be able to paint anymore.
    5. Paint the next layer with the same mixture.
    6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 until the entire surface is covered in glitter or until you are happy with how it looks!
    (I wasn't sure how much Mod Podge and glitter I needed so I just bought the big sizes of both, but ended up using about only 1/3 of both of them.)

    Tada!  That's it.  Mine took about 4 coats on each side.  My clutch has a zipper on the back and I just painted over the entire thing so you can't open the zipper anymore but it didn't matter that much to me.  I never used that back pocket anyway.

    The best part about doing it this way is that there is no glitter fall out!  I have been leaving this clutch all over the place, on our dining room table, on the couch, on my bed and no glitter has fallen off.  Hubs loves it because usually when I do glitter projects, we find glitter EVERYWHERE.  haha!  And it's great because it doesn't come off on your hands.  Now I have the perfect glitter clutch for the holidays!
    DIY_clutch
    Have fun and let me know if you try it too! I'd love to see how yours turn out :)  I actually ended up glittering a few other things so will share them soon!


    testking - test king 642-467 1z0-051 E20-329 dumps E20-515 000-087 642-747 350-001 comptia 70-680pass4sure - http://www.pass4sure.com/test/sat-subject-tests.htmlactualtests - actual tests 350-018 650-196 650-367 braindumps 70-246 70-463 650-153 E20-553 a+ certification OG0-093realtests - http://www.realtests.com/exam/646-205.htm testkingworld - http://www.testkingworld.com/70-680.asp

    No comments:

    Post a Comment